Ruprette Ltd. New York, NY
Freelance Consultant & DeveloperApril 2016 – Present
Provide freelance consultancy and development, building applications and infrastructure using Amazon Web Services.
- Architected and built a system to distribute multiple concurrent batches of emails to be sent across a set of worker instances.
Symfony/PHP, SES, SQS, AutoScaling, ELB, Redis, Supervisord, Amazon Linux
- Designed and developed a scalable event capture system using serverless architecture for hundreds of events per second.
DynamoDB, AWS Lambda, Python, API Gateway, Kinesis Streams, SNS
- Consulted on the implementation of AWS and meeting best practice, including CloudFormation templates, IAM policies and VPC.
CloudFormation, IAM, EC2, RDS, VPC
- Reason Digital
- Led development of the AWS Lambda component of a telephone call workflow management system for a large charity.
AWS Lambda, API Gateway, Node.js, RDS, MySQL, REST
- Provided the foundations of an AWS environment that meets best practice from a security and infrastructure as code perspective.
CloudFormation, IAM, VPC
- Royal Opera House
- Implemented a website and application deployment process using AWS CodeDeploy and Bamboo for continuous integration.
AWS CodeDeploy, Atlassian Bamboo
- Provided ongoing platform maintenance, including migrating a live Elasticsearch cluster to AWS Elasticsearch Service.
Elasticsearch, AWS Elasticsearch Service, CloudFormation
- Ticket Tailor
- Architected and carried out a migration of a live ticketing platform from Rackspace to Amazon Web Services.
CloudFormation, EC2, AutoScaling, ELB, RDS, VPC, Gearman
Royal Opera House Covent Garden, London, United Kingdom
Lead Digital Developer November 2013 – July 2016
Digital Developer November 2012 – November 2013
Led a team of five developers at the Royal Opera House, a leading performing arts organisation in central London. We built and maintained a scalable website and other digital services for the organisation, in collaboration with our technology partner in Seattle.
- Introduced modern software development practices such as code review, distributed version control and continuous integration.
Atlassian Bamboo, Git, Bitbucket
- Improved existing AWS infrastructure to meet new scalability and availability requirements, and to follow best practice.
AWS, CloudFormation, AutoScaling, ELB, EC2, RDS, Ubuntu
- Integrated an on-premise scheduling application to the website to provide cinema listings without duplicating data entry.
- Followed the Agile/SCRUM methodology, and expanded implementation to include story pointing via planning poker.
- Responsible for the day to day development and maintenance of the website, in conjunction with development team.
- Prepared for and supported regular high-traffic ticket on-sale events, including load testing and on-the-fly troubleshooting.
jMeter, Blazemeter, AWS
- Implemented the ELK-stack (Elasticsearch, Logstash and Kibana) for centralised logging from all components of the website.
Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash, ELB, EC2 AutoScaling
- Designed and built a state of the art e-ticketing solution to support the organisation's transition to paperless ticketing.
Symfony/PHP, SES, SQS, Tessitura, HTML, CSS
- Migrated the web platform from EC2 to VPC with Direct Connect, working on the AWS side in collaboration with the network team.
VPC, Direct Connect, CloudFormation
- Migrated on-premise services in to the AWS cloud, in collaboration with the Information Technology team.
CloudFormation, EC2, Windows Server, Tessitura
- Represented the organisation to peers in the sector at the global Tessitura conference for two years.
StrategyEye Charing Cross, London, United Kingdom
PHP Developer September 2011 – November 2012
Part of a team of five developers at a small software house developing a business intelligence and content marketing SaaS platform.
- Participated in development of an editorial workflow and content management system for content marketing.
Symfony/PHP, HTML, CSS
- Contributed to rewriting an external content ingestion process, retrieving and analysing up to 500 news articles per minute.
Sphinx, Redis, Symfony/PHP
WikiFocus Limited Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Freelance Developer November 2008 – September 2011
Worked for several companies as a part-time freelance developer, primarily focused on building MediaWiki extensions and consulting on wiki implementations.
- Developed a news website using MediaWiki and WordPress, creating several extensions and plugins and a custom theme.
- Direction Group
- Customised the MediaWiki interface and implemented new features through developing MediaWiki extensions.
- Energy House Digital
- Worked as part of a team developing a custom web application for an insurance company, using PHP and MySQL.
- Developed MediaWiki extensions for a wiki hosting platform, and configured a localisation platform.
- Stichting Open Progress
- Worked on a grant-based project to create test cases for MediaWiki extensions using a custom test appliance and Selenium.